The Edmonton Police Service is reminding the public to keep their safety in mind first as the city gears up for busy festival celebrations this summer.
“Don’t become an easy target,” says A/Sgt. Dale Brenneis of Crime Prevention Unit. “Thieves look for fast and easy ways to take your valuables.”
Whether you’re driving, taking public transit or walking to a summer festivity, follow these crime prevention tips:
Theft from Vehicles:
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle. Never leave anything in plain view including loose change, sunglasses, and cell phones. Leave wallets and purses at home rather than storing them in the trunk.
- Lock your doors and close all windows.
- Park in a sensible place, avoiding unlit areas at night.
Public Transportation Safety Tips:
Tell family or friends where you are going and when you will be back.
Travel with others if possible.
Be alert, walk with confidence, and know how to get to your destination.
- Pick safe routes to get to your destination.
- At night, take routes that are well lit and have other people in the area.
- Don't flaunt your personal property. If you’re carrying small personal electronics, like an iPod, conceal it under your clothes. These are targets for would-be thieves.
Keeping your Children Safe:
- Have your children memorize your cell phone number (if old enough).
- If separated, selected a landmark where the child and parent can reunite.
- Know what your children are wearing; colour of clothing etc.
- Accompany your children at all times, regardless of how mundane the task may seem.
- Never be responsible for more children than you're capablle; your neighbour's children, nieces, nephews etc.
- iPods/MP3 players & accessories
- Cell phones
- Wallets & purses
- GPS units
To report any suspicious persons or suspicious activity call the non-emergency complaint line, 780-423-4567. To report a crime in progress, dial 911.
For more Crime Prevention tips, visit: http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/crimeprevention.aspx
Safety Alert during summer festivals