One of the most significant things that someone can do to help prevent crime in their neighbourhood is to get to know their neighbour. Neighbours who know one another look out for one another. When you know your neighbours, you know who and what belongs in the area. The goal of an ENW Block Party is to get to know those people living next door, across the street and a few houses away!
Block Party Organizers:
- Can access available resources from ENW for the block party
- Be provided a gift bag that includes prizes, activities for children & adults, crime prevention handouts, and more (provided by ENW and program partners)
- Connect with other organizations (businesses, agencies, etc.) within their neighbourhoods to support their block party.
- Organized by a resident(s) within a neighbourhood(s).
- Invitations can be unlimitedly distributed.
- If the event is a large community-based gathering and are in need of more resources, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Invitations can be hand-delivered/digitally delivered along with the ENW crime prevention handout.
- Neighbours invited should be living in the block party zone.
- The application must be submitted a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the block party date.
- Complete the online Block Party Application. ENW will communicate with the main block party organizer. If you have any problems with the new application form, please email email@example.com
- ENW will send a confirmation email and further instructions. If you do not receive a confirmation email the same day, please check your junk mail for confirmation or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- ENW will provide links and help you connect with available resources.
- ENW will email the Save-On-Foods discount letter to you.
- Organizers deliver invitations and crime prevention handouts.
- ENW will notify the following after receiving the date & location of block party:
- Your ENW Community Representative (or Community League)
- The Edmonton Police Service and/or Edmonton Fire Rescue may send a representative (if available).
- Your City Councillor and MLA if it was indicated in your application.
- Organizers will then pick up the ENW Block Party kit at the ENW Office based on the pick-up date scheduled when applying.
- Call to schedule a pick-up time. (Office is open Monday-Friday from 9:00AM-4:30PM excluding holidays.)
- Block Party Kit includes:
- Gift Bag with giveaways from ENW.
- Party ice-breaker activities & children’s activities
- Sign-in sheets
- A lawn sign to promote the event. Add your party details & decorate (post #ENWBlockParty)
Organizer will have complete the online evaluation (within 4 weeks of the block party).
In cases where the crime prevention handout is not distributed with the invitations or the evaluation is not completed, the organizer and neighbourhood may be ineligible for future ENW Block Parties.
- Hello How Are You : The City of Edmonton initiative that encourages Edmontonians to get connected to their communities to help prevent social isolation.
- City of Edmonton – Block Party Guide (pdf)
- City of Edmonton – Permit to Block a roadway (pdf)
- City of Edmonton information on Block Parties