Below are a few simple and easy tips on how to increase the security of your home.
- Install security rated locks and deadbolts on all exterior doors. A good quality deadbolt lock should have a 2.5 cm (1 inch) throw. The strike plate should have at least two 8-10 cm (3 -4 inch) screws installed.
- Use the door locks. Keep doors locked even when at home.
- Exterior doors should be made of metal or solid wood. Glass or hollow core doors should be avoided.
- If your home has a glass panel within one meter of an exterior door, install a shatter resistant film on the glass or install security bars.
- Install a 180-degree door viewer.
- Never hide spare keys outside your home.
- Close and lock all windows when you are not at home.
- Consider replacing ordinary window glass with tempered, laminated, or wire-reinforced glass or with plastic.
- Install anti-lift, anti-slide devices on sliding aluminum frame windows.
- Keep windows and doors clear of all obstructions such as large bushes and shrubs.
- Basement windows are often an easy target. Security bars are a great visual deterrent. Or install anti-lift, anti-slide devices. Make sure that whatever device you use has a quick release mechanism in case of fire.
- Ensure your fence and gate are in good repair. Keep your gate locked at all times. Install privacy slats in chain link fences.
- Plant thorny plants under windows to deter intruders.
- Never leave ladders in your yard. These items could be used to reach the higher windows of your home.
- Use motion sensitive lights near doors or in dark areas of your yard.
- Eliminate hiding spots in your yard by trimming bushes and shrubs down to a height of 60 cm (2 feet). Trim up the lower branches of large trees to 1.5 m (5 feet).
- Cover the windows in your garage so people cannot look inside.
- Never leave your overhead garage door open. This gives individuals an opportunity to check out the contents of your garage.
- Install an indoor swinging, solid wood or metal door with a good quality deadbolt on the man door.
- Keep your garage locked at all times, especially if it is attached to your home.
- Never leave your automatic garage door opener in a vehicle that is parked outside your home.
- Lock your car even when it is in the garage.